Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I Dream of Dessa

For all of the crappy music the Current plays on a regular basis, they still manage to knock a few out of the park. Lately, the Minnesota Public Radio "alternative" "rock" station seems content to feed us a diet mostly consisting of Hold Steady-esque semi-sonic bullshit or refrigerator buzzing, auto-tuned club music intent to rival the local top 40 Clear Channel station, KDWB.

Before I wage my war on the Current to demand that they stop caving to advertiser demands and start playing more of what the public demands, I thought I would point out that there is good to be had. I'm not all that familiar with Dessa, but everything I have heard (including her read an open letter to Dave Eggers) has blown me out of the water.


One of my biggest complaints about the Minneapolis music scene is that style seems to prevail over substance, almost without exception. The Current's playlist only seems to perpetuate this attitude in the worst kind of way. It is encouraging to see and hear videos and performances like this one, but they are too few and far between. It is my wish that this kind of thing would be the norm, rather than the exception.

2 comments:

  1. "One of my biggest complaints about the Minneapolis music scene is that style seems to prevail over substance, almost without exception".

    cough cough GAYNGS cough cough

    ReplyDelete
  2. GAYNGS aka WHEN DOES THIS SONG GET GOOD?

    ReplyDelete